Some weeks ago I installed Windows 7 on a DELL Inspiron 17 3737 notebook for a friend – yesterday, another Inspiron 17, the same procedure, the same problem! Most drivers for devices were loaded automatically by Windows Update, other drivers can be downloaded from dell.com. All worked fine, but not with the WLAN device… That’s the reason for this post!
Because I did not know how I have fixed the problem the first time it took me some time and nerves to install the WLAN device again. First, I tried the driver from dell.com. The setup asked me for enabling the Bluetooth device by Bluetooth switch on keyboard. I enabled Bluetooth via Fn + F2, disabled it, enabled it, disabled it… but nothing happend! The setup did not progress – I assume that after installation of the BT device the installation of the WLAN driver would follow, but I did not get to this point. Furthermore, it was interessting that Windows Update automaically loaded a driver for Bluetooth but not for WLAN, so I only search for the WLAN driver.
Next step was to detect the device itself. Via Knoppix I found out that it is a Qualcomm Atheros AR9565. I downloaded lots of different drivers, installed them, but no one worked directly. So I came to the solution of my problem:
- Download the most current version of the driver Qualcomm Atheros AR956x WiFi 10.0.0.279 (42.2 MiB, 24,511 hits); version: 10.0.0.279, date: 04/02/14
- Extract the RAR archive to e.g. C:\Drivers\wlan
- Open the device manager
- Right-click on the unknown network controller and select Update driver… – this will start the Update Driver Software wizard
- Select Browse my computer for driver software
- Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
- Select Networkadapter in list and click next
- Click Have Disk… and navigate to folder where you extracted the RAR archive, e.g. C:\Drivers\wlan\drivers_inf\Win7\
- Double-click on netathrx.inf and press Ok
- Select Qualcomm Atheros Communication in left list and then Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter on the right; then press next
- Confirm following security question with Yes
Now the driver installs and the WLAN device can be used – let me know if it helped you saving time ;)
Device: Qualcomm Atheros AR9565
Download: Qualcomm Atheros AR956x WiFi 10.0.0.279 (42.2 MiB, 24,511 hits)
Bluetooth device not working, too!
Although Windows has a driver for the Bluetooth device, it does not work correctly under Windows 7. Have a look at this article, where you can find the solution for this problem!